Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Bucket List

This summer on a flight, I watched "The Bucket List" with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It is an excellent movie, sometimes tear jerking, about two mean who are dying and decide to make a list of the things they want to do before they die or kick the bucket.

It only makes you wonder if your bucket list is complete and if you are crossing off the lines one by one. Again, my favorite German phase translated, "Live your dreams; don't dream your life!" comes to mind. I think it is time to make my bucket list and this time actually put it on paper. Nothing is impossible if the desire is great enough.

It seems after that 60th birthday, things get a little more serious. Like, be kinder to those you love, keep contact with old friends, make yourself useful to others, be more generous, etc. But, to have actual things on that list, that seems a little more selfish and egotistical to me. But then, life comes around once and you need to make the most of each day and if it is something you really want to do, do it!

I guess number 1 on my list would be to research my ancestry and get a family tree on paper for my grandchildren and those who follow. I come from a very unusual background, growing up in a German community in the middle of Iowa, having German as my only language as I entered Kindergarten and now being absolutely elated that I am fluent in two languages. That is such a gift that has not been recognized until I started traveling in Europe.

Well, I have one on my list. Probably won't share too many more, but I hope all of you are also making your bucket list before time slips aways from you.

1 comment:

  1. I read somewhere that, I think it was in the 1800's, the population of the States was 1/3 German. I have some German heritage as well. There are several towns in Texas founded by Germans-can get some good German food there.

    ReplyDelete