Monday, August 3, 2009

A very good repast

Saturday evening, we drove into the neighboring town of Philipsburg, Montana, for an early anniversary dinner. The Philipsburg Cafe has been a favorite spot of ours since we discovered it three years ago. Mike and Meredith left Boston and moved to Montana where he has put his fantastic cooking expertise to bring a fine dining experience to little P-burg.


You would have to travel many miles to get a meal of duck confit with polenta, sauteed squash and an orchid on the side. The Trout loved the duck, and I can attest it was very delicious. I had to try Mike's horseradish crusted prime rib, rare to medium rare --the only way to eat it :)--also with the polenta and squash. It was fantastic.

We had a beautiful salad before this entree, of fresh greens, blue cheese, carmelized walnuts, green apple slices, champagne vinaigrette and a good sprinkling of freshly ground pepper. Outstanding!
We normally don't order dessert, but it comes with the fixed price of $25. This was triple delight chocolate cake which was outstanding! Mike came out as we were eating dessert and we praised his efforts. He had to apologize for the dessert. He had wanted to make a raspberry coulis with it, but could not get to the store for the raspberries because he is also a volunteer fireman and duty called. What else can I say? I love this small town stuff. The coffee was freshly ground and we brought our own bottle of wine along. This turned out to be an excellent choice; Horse Heaven Hills Merlot, 2006. We will definitely be back this summer for his excellent dinners.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, roll me over and poke me with a fork. I got full just reading about it and looking at the pictures. It sounds and looks absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a table full of delicious to me. I'm so glad you're enjoying your time in Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, Susan!

    What a lovely celebration, the meal looks wonderful; what a jewel of a restaurant. It made me smile to read about it, and that the chef/owner is also a volunteer fire fighter; that is one of the things I adore about a small town.

    I hope the rest of your trip is just as enjoyable. xo~m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous.... I wanted to try that steak, except that it needs to be DONE!!! LOL medium well!!! is the only way to go!!! Glad you are both enjoying yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delectible dinner you had. Happy Anniversary to you both. I agree that prime rib needs to be rare to medium rare. Everything looked yummy. Who'd have thought you could find that kind of food in Montana. But then, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post Susan. Can't wait to eat there too! We have four couples arriving next week in the Burg from CA to visit with us. Sounds like this is the place we need to have dinner at!

    Thanks for the great review of the Cafe'. I've had his coffee and it is good, isn't it?

    Can't wait to meet you next week!

    ReplyDelete