Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A very good Italian


We had a very nice rolled leg of lamb this weekend, and there were quite a few leftovers.  We had gyros this evening which were outstanding, and we served this great wine along side.

Dogajolo is a wine from Tuscany.  Actually, Greve in Chianti, Italy.  We spent a week near this town in 2001 and enjoyed the wines a lot.  Bottled by Carpineto, this wine is made from 80% Sangiovese and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon grown on the hillside vineyards of Tuscany.  The label says it all..."fruity flavors with hints of berries, coffee, vanilla and spice, matched with a supple tannin structure and a long finish."  It is a very "jammy" wine and would do wonders to a tomato dish such as a great homemade pizza.  It is a very typical wine of the Tuscan region and is known as a "Super Tuscan".  Super Tuscan means that the wine is a blend of grapes.  This wine is from 2008 and cost less than $10.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like this would be just the thing to go with lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our knowledge and enjoyment of Italian wines has grown tremendously since our daughter has worked for a high-end Italian restaurant group here in Milwaukee. The price is amazing. I'm sure Sam would love it too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love lamb and a good wine! I've put the wine on our list to look for. We purchase quite a bit of wine at Costco and also Sam's Wholesale Liquors (although the name changed recently??) in Chicago.

    Thanks for the review!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:54 PM

    I would love to have Dale as the person suggesting which wine to have with the special meal we will enjoy when we meet again. rw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lamb and a flavorful red wine (and one which evokes such beautiful memories from your travels?)

    Sounds like heaven to me, Susan. One of my favorite pairings, and I'm sure it was perfection!

    Drooling in Oregon. ;)

    xo~m

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I've had this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We seldom see Italian wine in the shops here, I guess they have enough of their own why buy Italian!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to ask Kim where she found this wine. I prepare lamb often and this sounds like a perfect pairing. Thanks for the recommendation, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummmmm. I'll have to look for this, if only for the lovely label with the oak leaves on it. I'm hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for; will try to find this one for sure; my kind of wine.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wine sounds great! Thank you for joining my fairly new blog and for you nice comments! I like your sense of humor! Also joined your blog! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice wine review, Susan. It makes me want to go right out and find it!
    Lamb dishes are a favorite around here too. It amazes me so many people don't care for it. Are we going to see your rolled leg of lamb recipe?? I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll be on the look out for this wine - thanks for the post! I enjoy Super Tuscans very much

    ReplyDelete