Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Forbidden Rice

We made a quick trip to our favorite oriental market this morning, and as always, Gigi was there to help us and answer questions.  We needed a Daikon radish for tomorrow night's dinner and some bean sprouts for a stir fry tonight.  But, I love checking out "other things" while I am there.

I came across a bag of Black Rice and remembered immediately it is also called Forbidden Rice.  Gigi told me that I needed to add more water and cook longer than regular rice.  I started immediately after we got home.



I took 2 cups of black rice and 2 3/4 cups of water, 1 tsp. salt and brought it to a boil.  I let it simmer for about 30 minutes.  The longer it simmered, the more purple it became.  A beautiful, royal purple color.  It was perfect; a little chewy, nutty flavored and delicious.  I will use some of it for our stir fry tonight, and the rest will go into a salad.  I like the flavor and texture of this rice, much more than brown rice. 

I am thinking soy sauce, sesame oil, cilantro, perhaps diced, roasted sweet potatoes, lime juice or maybe diced mangoes.  The ideas are endless.  I am thinking the rice could be substituted for black beans in salad, etc.  And here is the best news.....

In ancient China, only Emperors and the royal family were allowed to eat the black rice.  This is the where the name "Forbidden Rice" came from.  And now, in modern times, natural healing power and goodness of black rice is well noted.  Black rice is loaded with antioxidants, vitamin E, fiber and valuable anti-inflammatory properties.  Black rice has more antioxidants than 1 serving of blueberries.  It is also rich in iron. 

I also bought something else while at this little market.  Tumeric.  I saw some of the rhizomes in the refrigerator case, but Gigi talked me into the tumeric powder and told me to put a very small amount in a glass of water each day, but to drink with a straw because my mouth and tongue will remain bright yellow for a long time.  Tumeric is very helpful for arthritis.  I will let you know if I gain some more knowledge about the tumeric. 

3 comments:

  1. I've never had black rice, but it looks like I need to remedy that situation. And, please do let us know about the turmeric. Arthritis help would be very welcome. ;) blessings and hugs and appreciation for your adventuresome culinary soul ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to find black rice but I would love to try it! I think I'll need to visit a specialty store as you did.

    Wouldn't that be wonderful if the tumeric really worked for arthritis! I have read about its health properties elsewhere too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to admit that I have had some black rice in my cupboard for months and haven't gotten around to trying it. I didn't know that tumeric might help arthritis. It's worth a try. Thanks for the tip about the straw.

    ReplyDelete